In the past few weeks we've all had a bunch of doctors appointments. Last Friday we took the girls to the pediatrician. It was Annabelles 6wk check-up and McKinleys 3 year check-up. Annabelle did great. They weighed and measured her. She's up to 10lbs and 11oz and 23 1/2 inches. She cried for just a second after she got her immunization and that was it. However, the "Big Sister" wasn't so well behaved. She didn't get shots, but you'd have thought she did by the way she was acting. In her defense she hadn't had a nap and wasn't feeling well.
Today I had a doctors appt. and I had to take the girls with me. I got poked in the left arm and so the doctor didn't want me lifting Annabelles carseat with that arm. The nurse was carrying the carseat/Annabelle out for me and I was holding McKinleys hand. As we were walking toward the door McKinley started looking very concerned. Then she said "Thats my sister" and tugged on the carseat. I tried to explain that the nurse was helping us carry her to the car. The closer we got to the door, the more intense/upset McKinley became. By the time we got to the door McKinley and the nurse were having a tug-of-war over Annabelle. McKinley just kept saying "Thats My Sister!". The nurse said "Maybe I should give her back, because I heard about what she did to the nurse at the hospital". The doctor was standing there and asked what she meant. So the nurse informed her that McKinley hit the nurse at the hospital. The doctor looked at her nurse and said "You better give her back her sister", so thats exactly what she did.
For any of you who haven't heard the hospital story, here it is. McKinley came in the room to see me after I had the baby, and freaked out when she saw a nurse touching me. She threw her body on top of me and started swinging and kicking at the nurse when she came near me. She kept saying "Don't touch my Mommy". Later that evening the nurse came back to check on Annabelle. McKinley sneaked up behind her and swatted her on the back side. Apparently she didn't want her touching Annabelle either. We weren't happy that she hit the nurse and made her apoligized. However, part of me thought about how lucky Annabelle was to have a sister, that from the day she was born, was willing to take on someone 10x her size to protect her sister. I would say that I don't know where she gets this over protective nature from, but I remember being 12 and slamming a boy twice my size into a wall at church because he was picking on my brother. I was always very timid and shy, but I wouldn't tolerate someone picking on my brother. Apparently McKinley got her protective nature from me. So I guess this is a warning to all. If you ever pick on McKinleys sister, well.. You better watch your back side.

6 comments:
That is a great story! How lucky little Annabelle is to have such a great protective sister! And how brave to actually hit a nurse! :)
That is awesome! I wish my boys were that protective of each other.
McKinley is going to be a great big sis!
Can I hire McKinley to be my bodyguard? That is a story that you will love to tell. I am glad that she loves her little sister.
Way to go Brett (Tommy). Glad to get a quick update on an ancient friend. Little girls are the best! My daughter also punched a nurse when she was giving her baby brother immunizations.
Hey Brett & Fam,
Congrats on the new baby. I saw your blog from Quinton's page, and I thought I'd say hi. I hope all is going well. It looks like you guys are doing great--living the dream. That's exciting that you are almost done with anesthesiology school. We are just barely going to be starting law school this fall; I'm a little behind. Again, Congratulations!
What a good big sister. That may make your job a bit easier in the future.
Post a Comment