The Maxfield Family
Established April 24, 2004

Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Catching Up

I've let my self get extremely behind on my blog. The past week has been really busy for us. Since we are going to be moving soon we've decided that there are a lot of things that we want to do here in Michigan before we leave.
Most of these things have to do with spending time time with our friends out here. We had 3 different BBQ's out our house last week. We visited a zoo and a couple different parks, and we even went out on a GROWN-UP ONLY date. When we move are definately going to miss all of the great friends we made out here.
One of the BBQ's we had last week was for all the youth in the ward. By youth I mean kids ages 12-18. Brett has been there sunday school teacher for the past 2 years and wanted to have a farewell party with them. It was a really fun evening. We have such a great group of youth in our ward. Brett has really loved this calling.


We roasted hotdogs and marshmellows, and a few of the guys got really creative and decided to roast shrimp on the hot dog sticks.
One of the boys dared someone to a pop drinking contest...which led to the following pictures.


I was amazed that the winner of the pop drinking contest was actually the youngest girl there. GO KARA!...pretty weak boys!
It was a really fun night. McKinley loved having all the teenage girls there to hang out with. She has also recently become addicted to smores.

Brett and I are both definantely going to miss our church callings. I was released from the primary presidency on Sunday. I'll be going to relief society for the first time since we moved here, and I'm not sure that I'm excited about it. I loved being in Primary. The ladies I worked with were wonderful and the kids were all so sweet.

Now that summer has started, so has all of the summer rec programs. McKinley had her last day of gymnastics last Friday. I'm amazed at how much progress she has made.


Its so fun to watch her at gymnastics. She is the youngest kid in her class and the tallest kid in the class. Lets just say she doesn't have the ideal gymnast body type, but it doesn't stop her from trying.
Now that gymnastics is over she is starting soccer. I think soccer will be perfect for her because all you do is chase a ball around a field, which is something she'll be great at.
Tonight was her first night of soccer. They gave each kid a jersey, shorts, socks, a soccer ball and some cones. I was amazed at all of the stuff she gets. She did great out there on the field, even though it was insanely hot outside.

For the last drill of soccer practice the coach had them line up and take turns trying to kick the ball into the net. He was the goalie and would intercept the ball each time before any of them could actually get the ball into the net. The first time Kinley tried kicking it in he stopped it and gave it back to her. So the next time she came up with a brilliant plan of how to get her ball into the net. She kicked her ball up to him and then picked it up and ran around him in to the goal...SHE'S A SMART ONE!

5 comments:

Kraus said...

You may not be excited to leave but we are excited to have you back on our side of the country!
We are also excited to see you guys over the 4th. give us a call& we will get together!

Kelly said...

Ahhh, McKinley is my new s'more buddy! They are my favorite too! Oh, and you will love going to Relief Society. I do! We can't wait to have you guys closer. See ya soon.

Holly said...

How fun! It looks like you've made some great friends! I just started Brooklyn in dance this week, I agree it is SO much fun to watch them try new things and learn!!! :) McKinley is darling!

C.B. said...

She is just like her mom doing the whole gymnist thing that is great!

Valencia said...

Beautiful girls, Melissa! I love the Maxfielf family photos I saw on Erika's blog. It's hard to believe how McKinley has changed since Jack and Erika's wedding - she is so pretty and so smart! I look forward to seeing you all again sometime - you're always welcome here in South Carolina!